September 23, 2005

Genius

Every once in a while, I come across an idea so good and completely obvious I wonder why it didn't happen sooner. Yesterday was one of those days.

This past summer GM, Ford, and DaimlerChrysler have been using their "Employee Discount" promotion to ring in sales during this bear market and the promotion worked fantastically. The Big Three were able to use the promotion to sell SUVs, their golden nugget so to speak, even amidst rising gas costs. Now, with gas prices over three dollars a gallon, people are even more reserved about buying new SUVs. Enter the Mitsubishi Motors Corporation.

Instead of continuing the trend of employee discounts or hyping hybrid cars (which they don't have), they developed a ploy that, during this time of ridiculous gas prices, is pure genius. The promotion:
    Free year of gas with every new Mitsubishi vehicle
When I saw the ad, I nearly choked on my beverage. I automatically envied the brilliant person who thought this clever trick up. Everyone is worried about gas mileage and rising fuel costs and what better way to eradicate those woes? Free Gas! I love it.

Unfortunately, like every promotion, there are limitations and drawbacks. Buyers are given a pre-paid debit card worth between $1,500 and $2,500, depending on the vehicle. Additionally, at current gas prices, the deal doesn't realistically work. Here's how my math breaks down. Lets say the average car has a twenty gallon tank and only fills up once a week. Twenty gallons at three dollars a gallon for fifty-two weeks comes to: $3,120. Now if gas prices go down everything is alright, but not if they continue to rise to levels currently seen in Europe ($6 a gallon). To their defense, the deal does work using their math. The debit card is supposedly sufficient for 12,000 miles driven to the EPA fuel efficiency ratings on each car, but I don't know many people who drive only 12,000 miles a year let alone at the EPA fuel efficiency rates.

In any event, I think this promotion is pure genius because on the surface, it eases the worry about gas and an eased mind is priceless to many, including myself. I think whoever came up with it deserves a raise. Here's to you Mitsubishi. I hope it works.

3 Comments:

At September 23, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just love your blog! What a great job! Keep on blogging! We'll be back!

We have a website about Stock Picks and other interests like Stock Picks.

Check us out if you can find the time. Keep on blogging you are good at it!

 
At September 26, 2005, Blogger Sitting on Pineapples said...

LOL looks like the SPAM commenters got you too. I'm glad that there aren't going to be anymore "Land Yacht" cars. Who needs that much space anyway? You should have to prove that you are a cattle farmer to buy an expedition and a hummer. I'm glad that these people are getting rocked at 3 $pg when they bought a car that gets 10 mpg. Anyway, thats just me.

 
At September 26, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done, Mr. Snyder... well done indeed...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home