September 26, 2005

Girls

I met a gorgeous, personable woman at a party on Friday night. We played some beer pong, had a good conversation, and generally enjoyed meeting each other. Then, before I could even ask she says: "you need to get my number." Astonished and excited by her courage, I of course got her number.

The next two days, I kept thinking about her and deciding on what I'd say to her when I would call her. What would I say? What small talk would I make? What type of date would I set up? Would I suggest seeing a movie, getting a cup of coffee, or maybe meeting for lunch? I finally figured it out and the common three day waiting period was up and I was psyched to give her a call.

Then of course, my nerves got the best of me. I got nervous, anxious, and started to question my judgement. Should I really call? Is meeting for lunch really a good idea? Did I wait too long to call? Would she even want to meet up with me? You know, all the typical bullshit neurosis.

Then I finally grew a set of balls and called her. The result you ask? Here's the conversation:
    Dave:       Rachel?
    Rachel:   Yes?
    Dave:       Hi, its Dave. We met on Friday night.
    Rachel:   Uhh... where did me meet?
    Dave:       We met at Beaver Hill.
    Rachel:   Oh right
    Dave:       Well, I glad you remember me (slight awkward chuckle). So how are you?
    Rachel:   I'm good, how are you?
    Dave:       Oh, I'm doing well... so did your friends have a good time up here at Penn State?
    Rachel:   Yeah they did.
    Dave:       Great. So, the reason I called... I was wondering if you wanted to get together sometime?
    Rachel:   Umm, I actually have a boyfriend.
    Dave:       You do? Well thats interesting.
    Rachel:   Yeah...
    Dave:       Um, alright. I guess I'll talk to you later.
    Rachel:   Yeah.
    Dave:       Bye.
    Rachel:   Bye.
Interesting, isn't it? Seriously though, what the hell? First off, why would she give out her number if she had a boyfriend? Secondly, if she lied about having a boyfriend and was using it simply as an excuse to not go out with me, why would she be giving out her number to me? Neither possible explanation makes any sense. The only exception is that she's a lunatic and enjoys torturing men. But then again, even that doesn't make sense. She seemed to feel as awkward on the telephone as I did.

Girls, I'll never understand them.

7 Comments:

At September 26, 2005, Blogger Aventius said...

Damn I hate blog spam

 
At September 26, 2005, Blogger NoOneSpecial said...

Don't think you're special!!! I must have made that phone call twelve times last semester.

 
At September 27, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ouch.

 
At September 29, 2005, Blogger Sitting on Pineapples said...

I'm sorry Dave, you got to start using those "special pills" i made for you in my lab. Just remember to drop the body somewhere hillarious like on top of the lion or in the hub fountain.

 
At September 30, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is a common practice of women (i have done it many times myself in my wildier years). she probably does not actually have a boyfriend. basically, we do it because we assume that number recipient (in this case you) will NEVER call, or you will lose the number, so it's not a huge deal. this number exchange is never remembered, or perhaps she gave you someone else's name & matching number (again, i have done this myself). either way, yeah, it's not the nicest thing to do, but alas, such was college.

 
At October 05, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You shouldn't be hanging out at TS parties.

 
At October 05, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rule #1: Girls are stupid.

If you want a girl to like you, play with her hair, make suggestive comments, tell her she's a hot babe, carry her around the room, and let her feel your pecs. My pick up line is: "Finish your drink so we can leave." Cut straight to the chase and let her slide her hands down the fire pole. Girls don't want talk (they have their girlfriends for that), they want action... and they want it NOW.

Rule #2: The Larry King factor.

You can always find a dumb bimbo. ALWAYS!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home