April 27, 2005

Political Compass: Part II

I took the test. My results were:
    Economic = -5.38
    Social = -3.54
I expected the social value, but not the economic value. A few days later, I took the test again but this time carefully reading each question. I believe I misinterpreted a few questions the first time. Additionally, I think I was answering them too idealistically than I really believed. Sure, I would love corporations to actually give something back to society but do they have an obligation? I don't think so but I do think they should take it upon themselves to do so. I don't believe the government needs to regulate it. So my results the second time made a lot more sense to me. They were:
    Economic: -2.13
    Social = -4.36
That seemed more like it. I used to call myself a Republican because I value a smaller government and less economic regulation but that stopped after Bush got into office and "compassionate conservatives" took over the party. My voter registration card says I'm registered as a Democrat but truly, I've consider myself a Libertarian. This only confirms what I thought.

So I decided to see what my friends and family thought. I emailed them a link to the test and asked them to send me the numerical results so that I could analyze and graph the data. It was interesting to say the least. Click on the image to enlarge.



It was really interesting to see how much of an anarchist hippie Wayne really is but I didn't expect him to be so far right economically. I expected that the Somma twins would be closer together than they were and I really expected my friend Kyle Potter, a US Marine, to be much more right wing.



I'll leave everyone to make their own conclusions about the data and the test. I don't think the test is perfect and all but one of the people I surveyed are under the age of 25 (thanks Uncle Dan for submitting your entry), but the data definitely makes one big point - Neither major party is accurately representing my demographic (white 18-34). I find it funny that most of the people I surveyed and claimed to be Republican, had results in the Democratic Party range and those who claimed to be a Democrat, had results in the Libertarian and Green Party range. Perhaps we should pay more attention to Ralph Nader and David Cobb.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home