April 21, 2005

What is my hometown?

I am always confused whenever I have to fill out forms that ask for my hometown. What is my hometown? You see Dictionary.com states that definition of hometown is:
    home·town      noun.
    The town or city of one's birth, rearing, or main residence.
Now the problem is my town or city is different for my place of birth, rearing, and main residence. Furthermore, I have two "rearing" addresses and my current driver's license is from a completely different state than my current 'main residence'.
  • My city of birth was Pittsburgh, PA
  • My 1st city of rearing was Troy, MI
  • My 2nd city of rearing was Downingtown, PA
  • My driver's license says my city of main residence is Munhall, PA
  • I consider my city of main residence to be Lake Orion, MI
  • What about my college address?
So, what is my hometown? Is it where I currently live or where I was born. Its a tough choice and the dictionary just makes it harder. The problem is that the word 'hometown' no longer applies to our society and is no longer important. With every passing year, less people grow up in one city. More and more people move around as their mature and age. Its a norm for our mobile society. So, since our society has evolved I think our language should as well. Therefore, hometown should no longer be used because it has become too vague and has lost its relevance.

Or... maybe I'm wrong. What do you think?

4 Comments:

At April 21, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think we should drop the "m" to make it Hoe-town...

I consider my Hoe-town to be Miami... lots of fine ladies down there...

 
At April 21, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think we should drop the "m" to make it Hoe-town...

I consider my Hoe-town to be Miami... lots of fine ladies down there...

 
At April 21, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also think the statement: "What do you think" should end in a question mark... apologize for the double-post apparently the blogger server sucks ass.

 
At April 23, 2005, Blogger Aventius said...

Double post again and you're done. I'll be forced to drive out to Philly and kick your ass in beer pong.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home