January 26, 2006

Shit

From an article by Eric Bryant on AutoBlog.
    GM reported its results from the fourth quarter of 2005, and things are not pretty. Including one-time charges, the company lost $4.8 billion ($8.45/share) on revenue of $51.2B.

    The one-time charges included $2.3B for the company's health-care deal with the UAW and issues relating to the Delphi bankruptcy, as well as $1.3B for the restructuring that was announced back in November. Normal operating losses were $1.2B, which far exceeded analysts' expectations of $100M. GM's overseas units just missed breaking even, so the numbers basically represent the issues here in the US.

    This brings GM's full-year loss for 2005 to a stunning $8.6B.
I don't know what to say. This sucks. Maybe its a good thing that I don't want to live in Michigan after graduation. If Ford & GM continue to get shitty, the local economy is going to go to shit.

This all sucks but GM isn't going anywhere. It reminds me of Chrysler in the 80s and they never went under. Of course, I can't mention Chrysler without mentioning the government bailout that Iacocca got from Reagan, but I'm not worried. Ok, I'm worried but not that worried. It won't stop me from buying Chevrolets.

As for bankruptcy, it may happen but don't confuse bankruptcy with going out of business. GM isn't going to go out of business anytime soon. They could run at a loss for a decade and survive. Of course, Buick, Saturn, Saab, and Pontiac might have been killed off by then, but they'd survive. They could simply just build trucks, Corvettes, and Cadillacs and have a very sustainable business.

One of the comments on the AutoBlog article had a great point. I'm paraphrasing but "GM could sell 4 cars for every 10 cars they sell today and still have larger sales than Nissan and Honda." Definitely true and could happen.

14 Comments:

At January 26, 2006, Blogger AmandaMae said...

I just wanted to say hi

 
At January 27, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chevrolet is a waste of your fucking money. Fuck Chevy.

 
At January 27, 2006, Blogger Aventius said...

Define a waste of your money. The Malibu has been ranked higher in reliability and initial consumer appeal by JD Power than the Accord and Camry.

 
At January 27, 2006, Blogger Aventius said...

You know, ignorant comments really piss me off. Its fine to have that opinion, but what is your basis? Give an educated and meaningful response or else shut the hell up.

 
At January 27, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

G6 GT rules...

 
At January 28, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The basis is that Chevy is fucking ugly cars and to change a transmission on a Cadillac you have to take out the engine. That's an 8 hour job fucker. I owned a Cavilier and the tranmission fucked me over on the 405 in Los Angeles. I yelled to everyone that Chevy sucked. Fuck you and your little JD Power rating. My Toyota Camry doesn't break down like the shitty cadillac

 
At January 28, 2006, Blogger Aventius said...

Wow... a little repressed anger there? I appreciate you taking it out on me, FUCKER. JD Power still says you're wrong though and I prefer to believe them over somebody who calls me "fucker". As for ugly, I think the Camry is ugly, along with the new Civic. But that doesn't matter, that is subjective.

 
At January 28, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fuck JD Power. Chevy sucks BALLS!

 
At January 28, 2006, Blogger Aventius said...

Sounds like you and Chevy have something in common.

 
At January 28, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, Chevy and I squirt fluid from under our belts when your mom sits on us.

 
At January 28, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's the difference between a Michigan graduate and Penn State graduate?

About 40,000 dollars a year.

 
At January 28, 2006, Blogger Aventius said...

wow, you pulled out the mom joke? are you in seventh grade still?

 
At January 29, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

no, but I'm still on your mom.

 
At February 05, 2006, Blogger Sitting on Pineapples said...

What's the difference between a Michigan graduate and Penn State graduate?

The Penn State Graduate has a soul....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home