May 07, 2005

The secret of Willy Wonka's workforce

I was watching Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory. It was on HBO and I couldn't resist the classic film. I must have watched it at least a dozen times during my childhood and my Circle K club in college did a Wonka-themed homecoming float. So, despite my familiarity with the movie, I never realized such a glaringly obvious theme within the movie until today.

What did I discover, you ask? No it wasn't the hidden sadistic nature of the movie. Nor was it the typical theme of deceiving children by exploiting their fantasies, in order to sell Chocolate bars. No, I realized both of those themes when I was young. The hidden theme that I finally realized today was that Oompa Loompas must be asexual creatures. Yes, you read it correctly.
    Oompa Loompas are asexual.
Here's my proof. Willy Wonka explains in the movie that he secretly transported the entire population of Oompas Loompas from Loompaland in order to save them from the vicious "... Wangdoodles... Hornswogglers and Snozzwangers and rotten Vermicious Knids." He brought them to his factory where they work and live. Now, the problem is the movie never shows a single female Oompa Loompa. Every Oompa Loompa shown working in the factory is male.

If Willy Wonka brought the entire population to the factory, then there must not have been any females in Loompaland. If there were never any females in Loompaland, then traditional sexual reproduction would be impossible. Therefore, I decree that Oompa Loompas are asexual creatures.
    a·sex·u·al       adj.
    1. Having no evident sex or sex organs; sexless.
    2. Relating to, produced by, or involving reproduction that occurs without the union of male and female gametes, as in binary fission or budding.
    3. Lacking interest in or desire for sex.
The only possible flaw in my logic would be that the female Oompa Loompas are simply not permitted in the workforce but I disagree with this. The setting for the movie was the early 1970s and in this time period, women were an ever growing population within the work force. Therefore, its unimaginable that there wouldn't be any women in the Oompa Loompa workforce, further substantiating my theory that Oompa Loompas are asexual creatures.

And with that I bid you a bye-good. Strike that, reverse it.

2 Comments:

At May 09, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. Snyder, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

 
At May 20, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course there are female Oompa Loompas! Andy Lee is dating one!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home