December 30, 2005

Popcorn

If anybody wants to understand why Americans have become such an obese people, they only need to go to their local theatre.

I went to the movies tonight to see the Chronicles of Narnia (which was really good). As I sat in the theatre before the lights went dim, I took a look around and noticed something. Only in our supersize-me food culture do we need to buy gallon-size cups of soda, one pound boxes of candy, and suitcase-size cartons of popcorn. Heaven forbid we go two hours without food while we sit on our fat asses. To think, we might actually starve.

The observation that really struck me wasn't the volume of food that was consumed, but rather at the rate of which it was consumed, or rather inhaled. Look around at people sitting in the theatres. Nobody pops one or two kernals of popcorn, they grab large handfuls of it and jam them into their mouths while half of it ends up on their shirts. It was disgusting and to be honest, I've been guilty of it myself in the past, just not this evening. Tonight, I was probably too full from my oversized portion at dinner.

1 Comments:

At January 10, 2006, Blogger Sitting on Pineapples said...

Large Popcorn ... 8$

Bushel of corn to make 1 gallon of UNpopped popcorn (probably 4 garbage bags full popped).... 3$

Apparently the "butter flavoring" is just making us dumb as well

 

Post a Comment

<< Home